Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology/Mastercard Foundation Pre-MEST – Startup Creation Program 2021 [Ghana Only]
Deadline: April 30, 2021
Applications for the Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology/Mastercard Foundation Pre-MEST – Startup Creation Program 2021 are now open. The Pre-MEST program, in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation and Young Africa Works, is currently looking for young people based in Ho, Kumasi, Bolga and Takoradi, Ghana, who have a keen interest in software entrepreneurship and a desire to build technology businesses, to join its first-ever cohort in Startup Creation to launch their own ventures. The course runs from May 17 – August 6, 2021.
Over the course of 12-weeks, participants in this cohort will be given the opportunity to go from business idea to business venture by learning the essential business, communication and technology skills needed to become software entrepreneurs and start a successful early-stage tech company. Upon completion of the course, participants will have the opportunity to launch startups.
Participants will also receive dedicated mentorship throughout the program, as well as attend workshops and sessions designed to improve employability through soft skills training. The 12-week in-person program is tuition-free and requires full-time dedication for the duration of the course. Successful graduates will receive certification upon completion and the opportunity to launch tech-enabled businesses.
The Pre-MEST Startup Creation cohort curriculum will combine workshops with hands-on projects developed through a series of subject-focused sprints. Led in a bootcamp style, the participants develop relevant usable skills in technology and business. The Pre-MEST team will also give each cohort some learning work to complete before the program start date, to ensure they have the minimum skill levels to delve into projects and exercises from the first day.
- Market Research and Product Development
- Business Modelling
- Branding & Communications
- Market Testing and Traction
- Open to young people between the ages of 18 and 35 years;
- Must reside in Ghana, but can be from anywhere;
- Passionate about technology and entrepreneurship, and how to use technology to achieve business results;
- Has a tech-related business idea or willing to develop one;
- Preferably has past experience with entrepreneurship or within a startup environment;
- Disciplined, motivated and a self-starter who can work and deliver on assignments and projects;
- A team player that can thrive working independently as well as collaboratively;
- Should be able to commit full time for the duration of the course.
Step 1: Join the Pre-learning Slack channel as well as the WhatsApp channel for the hub you wish to train at using the links below:
- Pre-MEST pre-learning slack channel
- Women’s Haven Africa (Kumasi) pre-learning whatsapp channel
- Ho Node Hub (Ho) pre-learning whatsapp channel
- Dansyn (Bolga) pre-learning whatsapp channel
- iCode Ghana (Takoradi) pre-learning whatsapp channel
Step 2: Complete the Pre-MEST application form for the hub of your choice.
Step 3: Complete these pre-learning courses on IBM and Google Learning Portals (you need to complete all to qualify for the program). Select either the ‘Tech’ or ‘Business/Communication’ track (not both) depending on your area of interest:
Tech Track Pre-Learning Courses
- Design Thinking
- Basic Web Development
- Software Development
Business/Communication Track Pre-Learning Courses
- Design Thinking
- Basic Web Development
- Digital Marketing
Step 4: Await communication about your application status
- Once you have completed all the Pre-Learning courses for the track of your choice, provide the link to your IBM badges and upload your Google Digital Marketing and Business Modeling Canvas certificates using this form: Pre-learning Submissions Form
- Then await communication about your status.
- Final offers will be sent out to successful applicants within 10 days of the application close.
For more information, visit Pre-MEST – Startup Creation.