Livelihood Assistant at Save the Children Nigeria
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Livelihood Assistant
Ref No: 210002VE
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Key Areas of Accountability
Programme Support (Typically will be at field level):
- Assist program officers to ensure program progress according to the developed schedule and work plan.
- Assist in the coordination of livelihood activities.
- Support in the process of beneficiary registration, community mobilization and sensitization.
- Assist in promoting community participation and inclusion as to encourage community ownership over activities implemented.
- Ensure equal representation of various community groups in the implementation of activities.
- Assist in the facilitation of community meetings, focus group discussion and other as required by the program.
- Keep program officers and management updated regards to security situation in the project implementation area.
- Provide weekly field reports, capturing activities progress, lessons learned as well as general situation and community updates and needs.
- Document lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- Adhere to all SC policies and procedures as outlined in SC policies and procedure manuals.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to SC and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation.
- To ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for partner staff and communicate this to the Livelihoods Officer or Livelihoods Coordinator.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Supporting coordination working groups within the IDP camps and host communities or target project sites.
- Contribute to communications and media work as required through correction of data and information and sharing with the project heads
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities, and other relevant policies and procedures
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Additional job responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant experience of working in livelihoods, including report writing.
- Education to B. Agriculture or any other related subject or equivalent field experience (in agricultural research programme) and livelihood programming.
- Previous experience of project management and implementation
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation
- Experience of training and capacity building staff
- Some experience of representation and ability to represent SC effectively in external forums.
- Knowledge of institutional donors and experience of developing proposals
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication and strong influencing skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- High level of communication in a local language related to the working environment
- Familiarity with the integration of program FSL / Nutrition / Wash
- Experience in gender mainstreaming, social protection programming.
Application Closing Date
8th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online