Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer at CARE International
CARE International is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to saving lives and ending poverty. We work in over 94 countries around the world to provide over 1000 poverty-fighting development and humanitarian aid projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer
Location: Gashua, Yobe
Employment Category: Contract
Vacancy Type: National
Reporting to:Project Manager
- The MEAL Officer will be responsible for Food Livelihood and Nutrition Security (FLNS) Project Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL).
- The MEAL Officer will design implement cost effective, innovative robust MEAL system. The MEAL will continually review the practicality and effectiveness and suggest modifications as necessary of the MEAL system.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Supervision and Management of Direct Report:
- Assist the Program Manager to manage, train and develop the Monitoring and Evaluation team
- Identify direct reports capacity development needs and in consultation with the FLNS Manager
- Guide direct reports prepare performance plans and appraise them in consultation with FLNS Sector Manager and HR staff.
- Support HR and FLNS sector in staff recruitment.
Develop an appropriate MEAL System in line with the FLNS Sector Design and Objectives:
- Continually examine specific FLNS Sector and project output components to be monitored and evaluated.
- Develop monitoring, accountability and reporting tools for the respective projects’ and programs’ outputs, suggest modifications and develop new and appropriate tools as necessary.
- Provide routine guidance to FLNS Sector on field testing and use of new innovative monitoring tools as they are developed and refine them for FLNS Sector use.
Facilitate the implementation of FLNS Sector MEAL system and ensure accuracy of data and information collected:
- Take the lead in training all FLNS Sector staff in understanding and use of all monitoring and reporting tools.
- Review field reports to ensure that they respond to the FLNS Sector objectives and comply with sector indicators.
Ensure FLNS Sector data and information collected are analyzed and made accessible to the management in a form usable for decision-making:
- Establish a filing system for various program activities to ensure easy retrieval of information as and when needed.
- Develop an appropriate project data base of the sector to facilitate processing of required information.
- Continually analyze FLNS Sector field data to verify status as and when necessary, and produce daily, weekly, monthly/quarterly data computation and analysis reports for use by project/project management.
- Verify the validity of field data by making routine field visits to check adherence to agreed data collection methods and authenticity of collected information.
- Documentations of lessons learnt, good practices and support the FLNS writing refereed papers for publication.
Supervision, Liaison and collaboration with other projects, and agencies (e.g. UN, INGOs, State and Local Government Area (LGA):
- Supervise, review and coordinate contracted consultants and any other persons assigned to MEAL officer.
- Facilitate collaboration on MEAL with other agencies in the region to ensure uniformity in tracking of FLNS Sector indicators.
- Promote good PR and enhance CARE’s positive image during presentations
- Perform any other monitoring and evaluation duties as may be assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Sector Manager or her/his designate.
Education / Training Required:
- Minimum 1st degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, Agricultural economics
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in M&E
- Competent in use and application of SPSS
- Excellent experience on conducting quantitative and qualitative research, studies, assessment from start to end including dissemination of findings to a wide range of diverse audience
- Master’s Degree in a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years experience on MEAL in the field of development
- Masters in social science, disaster management, development studies or relevant discipline
- Good understanding of the country’s humanitarian context, empowering and advocacy issues in Nigeria
- Strong analytical skills and understanding of MEAL Framework, tools and indicator setting
- Evidence-based monitoring and evaluation frameworks and program, with emphasis on participatory and partnership-based MEAL approaches
- Strong knowledge of IT applications and development – especially spreadsheets and database management.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and good report-writing skills
- Previous experience working with an INGO ora Development organization.
- Fluency in English and Hausa.
- Familiarity with project cycle management, monitoring and evaluation
- Organised and able to manage own time under guidance and direction from line-manager
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and beliefs, including strong commitment to gender, diversity issues, equal opportunities and capacity building
- Strong interpersonal and self-awareness skills
- Ability and willingness to undertake extensive travel in the country
- Well-developed conceptual, critical, analytical thinking and planning skills
- Ability to take Initiative, drive to achieve results, ability to develop effective organizations Understanding and experience of gender equity issues and their relevance to humanitarian response work
- Ability to work effectively with others, adaptive and flexible.
- Strong level of autonomy to provide independent follow through on processing issues and concerns
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
- Details focus
- Strong team player
- Strong problem solving, analytical, operational, and coordinating abilities
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong customer service focus and ability to work well with people from various backgrounds and cultures at all levels in organization.
- 60% Gashua Office; 40% Field Travel.
Application Closing Date
20th May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- CARE considers all applicants on the basis of merit without prejudice to race, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age, color, national origin, marital status, or veteran status.
- There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Please note that CARE will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
- Candidates who reside and have resided for years within the locations where the positions are advertised are strongly encouraged to apply.
- CARE strongly encourage women to apply.