Data Analyst, Global Health Security (NCDC) at the Institute of Human Virology Nigeria (IHVN)
The Institute of Human Virology Nigeria (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis (TB) and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Data Analyst, Global Health Security (Program Officer)
Location: NCDC, Abuja
Scheduled Work Time: Monday – Friday (Flexibility, willing to travel and work weekends)
Project: Cross Cutting Disease Surveillance Project
Reports To: The Project Manager AFI Surveillance and Director SECURE-Nigeria project
Operational Contacts: NCDC, State Public Health Department, US-CDC Atlanta, US-CDC Nigeria and other stakeholders within the supported states
- The cross cutting disease surveillance network consist of 3 separates parts will include 3 surveillance activities;
- Acute febrile illness (AFI) surveillance
- Serologic surveillance using viral load (VL) remnant specimens from people living with HIV (PLHIV)
- Serologic surveillance using stored antenatal care (ANC) stored dried blood spots (DBS).
- The Acute Febrile illness (AFI) project is a hospital based prospective active surveillance project to be implemented in 6 tertiary facilities in Nigeria across 6 states including FCT.
- The results of this project will provide data to support more reliable estimates of the burden of disease, and updated evidence-based algorithms for the management of febrile illness; generate valuable surveillance data which will inform programmatic planning for effective prevention and control of infectious diseases.
- This position is responsible for the data analysis of SECURE-Nigeria newly established project on crosscutting communicable disease sentinel surveillance which includes Acute Febrile illness (AFI) sentinel surveillance and serological surveillance.
- The data analyst will work closely with the NCDC surveillance team including the SORMAS team, project manager and project director to provide leadership in analyzing and interpreting data to provide ongoing data report on the findings from both AFI and serological surveillance activities.
- The Position holder will conduct evaluation of etiologies of acute febrile illness among patients in targeted healthcare facilities in Nigeria.
- Provide technical support in data analysis from ongoing surveillance activities across the 6 sentinel sites, data interpretation using statistical techniques and providing ongoing reports.
- Support the implementation of databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality.
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
- Filter and “clean” data by reviewing computer reports, printouts, and performance indicators to locate and correct code problems.
- Conduct data analysis to determine causes and patterns of acute febrile illness (AFI).
- Support the development of surveillance questionnaire to collect epidemiological data.
- Support the conduct of post surveillance evaluations.
- Periodic surveillance of finding from AFI and serological surveillance.
- Conduct trend analysis of Surveillance data.
- Identify and monitor key performance indicator for communicable disease sentinel surveillance.
- Advanced Degree (MD, MBBS, BMChB, BPh, DM, RN or B.Sc) with at least 2 years’ experience in disease surveillance. Two of this must be related to medical diagnostics.
- An advanced degree is needed (MSc or MPH).
- Excellent proficiency in use of statistical (STATA, SAS, SPSS, and/or R) and Microsoft packages (particularly Excel and Access).
- Complex data analysis skills.
Application Closing Date
24th June, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send detailed Resume and a one page Cover Letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to “Deputy Director, Human Resources” via: email@example.com
- Application must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email.
- Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please do not apply if you do not meet the essential requirements.