Nursing Activity Manager (Outreach Team) at Medecins Sans Frontieres
Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nursing Activity Manager (Outreach team)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Contract Period: Fixed Term
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning and organizing all nursing related activities (IPD, OPD, maternity, nutrition, etc.) and participating in the definition of annual planning and update of its associated budget in order to efficiently maintain the continuity of the standard quality healthcare. When needed, being responsible for scheduling duty rosters, shifts and on call of nursing staff.
- Coordinating and supervising the implementation of the legal therapeutic protocols, procedures and standards, depending on project objectives (PPTCT, PEP, VCT, IEC, SGBV, MH services, etc.) and providing technical support when needed, to ensure the quality of the nursing care, confidentiality and information traceability, patient surveillance, and the application of the therapeutic and sterilization rules by the health care personnel.
- Supervising the nutritional activities in order to ensure that therapeutic food is provided regularly and that it complies with quality and quantity standards
- Ensuring all administrative procedures and documents (individual patient’s card and registration book, discharge paper, transfer paper, etc.) and existing data management tools are used correctly
- According to MSF protocols and in collaboration with the Pharmacist and Medco, supervising the distribution (according to medical prescriptions) and pharmacy activity, preparing new orders when required, supervising expiration terms and consumption patterns, in order to ensure that pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated and above minimum safety point.
- In coordination with the project biomedical service supervising the appropriate use of medical devices and anticipating and communicating future needs.
- In close coordination with the Logistics Manager, supervising laboratory outputs related to nursing activities (blood test) to ensure samples are collected correctly and results are provided on time.
- In close coordination with the HR department, planning and supervising the associated processes (recruitment, training, evaluation, development and communication) of the nursing staff of the project in order to improve staff capabilities and ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required. Training nursing staff on PTE.
- Reporting to the line manager on any relevant information linked to nursing activities and participating in monthly reports.
NB: PPTCT = Prevention Parent to Child Transmission; PEP= Post Exposure Prophylaxis; VCT = Voluntary Counselling and Testing; IEC = Information, Education and Communication; SGBV = Sexually Gender Based Violence; MH = Mental Health; PTE = Patient Therapeutic Education
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Co-responsible for the general management of mobile clinics together with the Medical Doctor and the PMR.
- Supervise the general functioning of the mobile clinics
- Arrangement/ management of movement plan (weekly, monthly schedule planning)
- Supervise implementation of the MSF protocols
- Supervise patient flow/ registration/ pharmacy and laboratory in the mobile clinics
- Participate in the recruitment of medical national staff and their evaluations
- In charge of all materials (non-medical and medical)
- Coaching and empowerment of national staff
- Support and supervise the HP team in the mobile clinics
Follow-up SRH component (ANC, PNC, FP, SGBV) in collaboration with the the Midwife and MWAM:
- Together with the Midwife and MWAM
- Follow up implementation of SRH protocols
- Organize referral for patients in need (pregnant women with complications)
- In charge of follow-up HP activities in collaboration with the HP supervisor on SRH topics
- In collaboration with the mental health health team, support the quality of counseling for ANC, PNC, FP
- In charge of nutritional support when needed for pregnant women
- Support HP network for SRH and community activities
- Supervise the nurse/ nurse aid in charge of pharmacy
- Supervise drug dispensary, follow-up daily medical consumption, supervise daily refills of the kits
- Supervise the implementation of vaccination activities in the clinics
- Train the staff about vaccination and follow-ups
- In collaboration with the HP, support for vaccination activities in the community and mobile clinics
Outreach / Community Activities:
- Back up and support the outreach team when needed. If HR is not enough for the time being, cover the gaps and reassess the need on resources
- Organize training for medical/ para-medical national staff + follow up
- Provide on the spot training whenever needed
- Supervise the general functioning of the referral system
- In charge of data and reporting to the data manager in monthly basis
- Participate in weekly in the referral meetings and reporting relevant aspects to PMR
- Support and analyze the weekly data related to nursing activities in the mobile clinics
- Actively participates in reporting (monthly, quarterly and annually) in a constructive and analytical way to improve the project documentation.
- Reporting to PMR/FC and FC assist on security incidents, issues happening in or on the way to clinics: the networking file has to be updated and transmit to the FC on weekly basis (if available)
- Train stadd to correctly fill tally sheets, consumption tools and correct data encoding
- Ensure a good management of the clinic team
- Participate in assessments or any emergency interventions when needed
- Actively participates in the follow-up of security/ context and related meetings
- Responsible of the follow up of security measures in the field by the team when asked
- Project is very dynamic and requires a lot of flexibility and adaptation in all components according to contextual and security reasons
- Ensure good collaboration with the PMR, Mobile clinic Doctor and other related department
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Education:Essential nursing diploma for general or specialized health services (Bachelor’s in science of Nursing Desirable); Specialization or training in tropical medicine would be an asset
- Experience:Essential working experience of at least two years in nursing activities related jobs. Desirable working experience in MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries
- Languages:Mission Language essential; Local language desirable.
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Competencies:People’s Management and Development (L2); Results and Quality Orientation (L3); Behavioural Flexibility (L3), Commitment to MSF’s Principles (L2); Teamwork and Cooperation (L3)
Application Closing Date
22nd June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application, including Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant certificates (Softcopies) to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Send hard copies to: MSF Belgium Human Resources Office – FORI CV BOX.
Note: MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.