Information Management Assistant at the U.S. Embassy
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Information Management Assistant – All Interested Candidates
Announcement Number: Abuja-2021-071
Series / Grade: LE – 1805 9
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-9
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
For USEFM – FP is 5/1. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Who May Apply / Clarification From the Agency: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Job holder serves as Assistant to the Senior Information Management Specialist, supervising daily and weekly required Information Technology (IT) procedures at (Centers for Disease Control) CDC-Nigeria Office.
- Provides day-to-day management of CDC IT systems. Trains and guides CDC staff on best practices and effective use of system resources.
- Provides work guidance to the IT assistant.
- S/he will serve as an alternate liaison between CDC Nigeria and counterparts at CDC HQ IT Services Office.
- S/he reports to the Senior Information Management Specialist, CDC-Nigeria.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible work experience in computer science or Information Systems Management using Windows Server and Cisco Network Device management including switches, routers and firewalls is required. The experience must include at least 2 years of experience as computer support staff for a small to medium-sized (about 40-90 personnel supported) office environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Mathematics, Electrical and Electronics Engineering or Physics is required. Training Course certification in Microsoft, Cisco systems or Project Management is required.
- Note: NYSC Certificate or Exemption document is required.
- In-depth understanding of Local Area Network hardware/software components, Microsoft Windows and windows Server operating systems, application/hardware installation use is required. Certified Microsoft and HP personnel with knowledge of personal computers, peripherals and LAN hardware including HP and Dell serves, Cisco switches, Cisco security routers, Cisco ASA firewall (VPN), Structural Office cabling (SOC), Fibre office cabling (FOC), (SOC) patch panels, wireless router internet hardware and other various hardware required for the implementation of LAN systems. Job holder must have knowledge of local vendors and suppliers in order to determine what IT equipment and supplies may be purchased locally.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed
- Fluency in both written and oral in English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess good technical skills to troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve hardware and software problems, thereby maximizing the capabilities of Agency computer resources, as well as ability to lead results-driven project teams and workgroups is required.
- Advanced user level of word processing, spreadsheets and databases is required.
- Numerical skills for data analysis are required. Incumbent must be able to work independently to assess advanced Information Technology (IT) problems and issues, and develop realistic solutions.
- Difficult technical problems are routine in the Nigeria context.
- S/he will be backstopping the supervisor during absences and thus needs to be able to work independently as the acting team lead.
- Must be capable of directing training for computer program applications at the advanced level.
- S/he must consider ways to achieve greater operational efficiency through innovation, increase IT security, or synergize operations with other USG agencies or implementing partners to increase productivity.
- Examples include analysis of training needs across agencies and scheduling joint training sessions on common software tools or configuring new LANs using wireless technology.
- Incumbent must plan his/her work activities and be able to make revisions to accommodate short notice deadlines. Job holder must have very good oral and written communication skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
USD $47,619 (N10,908,677) Annually.
Application Closing Date
28th June, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position, click the “Apply to this Vacancy” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process.
- In order to qualify based on education, you must submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position:
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate
- IT Certificate or License
- For EFMs, in addition to the above;
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
- For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- For More Info: HR Section – 09-461-4000; HRNigeria@state.gov