Medical Coordinator, Support at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) – Holland Nigeria
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Coordinator, Support
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Main Objectives and Responsibilities
- Supporting the Medical Coordinator through delegated tasks and responsibilities including administrative tasks related to the coordination of work, ensuring good relationships with local and national authorities and ensuring adequate program management in the projects, according to MSF protocols, (para)medical standards, rules of hygiene and the standard precautions in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health conditions of the targeted population.
Description of the Responsibilities / Activities
- Monitoring, supervising and evaluating the implementation of medical activities in the project, visiting projects according to pre-set schedule and participating in defining the human resources needs, materials and techniques. Assisting in the implementation ofMSF protocols, (para) medical standards, the rules of hygiene and universal precautions in service.
- Assisting in the collection of information on national health policy (meetings, reports, articles, etc.), collecting and participating in the analysis of epidemiological data (meetings, reports, articles, etc.) from the projects
- Ensuring medical follow up of patients (treatment, improvement) in collaboration with the medical referent of the health structure and overseeing all medical expenses associated with the patient, in collaboration with the supervisors. Organize the administrative and medical information (reports, ongoing treatments), the discharge of patients and return to their homes
- Supporting and supervising the project teams and participating in the management of the medical team in the capital (recruitment, training, monitoring their work, vacation planning, assessments, etc.). Participating in briefings and debriefings of the (para) medical team members and promoting communication and active participation in the development of the project
- Applying the employee health policy and participating in the evaluation of hospital structures that can serve as reference structures for national and international staff. Participating in the medical monitoring of MSF personnel and overseeing all medical expenses associated with various consultations and hospitalizations in collaboration with the line manager
- Participating in the management of the central pharmacy, advising and guiding the logistics team in the mission of drug stock management. Organizing the start-up, inventory and management of operational medical library according to the classification plan
- Participating in the data collection and management from the projects as well as preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports and organizing · data archiving and medical reports in the project
- Performing other duties at the request of Medco (exceptional strengthening of a field team, involvement in evaluations, etc.)
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Support Medical coordinator in participating in various meetings.
- Responsible for implementation of National Staff health policy in collaboration with HR department including ensuring giving medical inputs at the time of recruitment. Education of the national staff on preventative measures and ensuring that they are following that in the mission.
- Act as a mission focal point in terms of national staff health issues.
- Assist medical coordinator for administration of expat health policy.
- Monitor the key health concerns in the mission and ensure regular information sharing and exchange with national staff colleagues in the mission.
- Compile monthly medical report across the mission including providing feedback to the staff in the field. Detect data errors in the report and address with the respective field in collaboration with mission DHIS focal person.
- Get latest updates on the DHIS for better understanding with an objective of becoming mission DHIS focal person in future.
- Gather relevant medical contextual information and share with medical coordinator.
- Participates in the emergency assessments or response when required in the field.
- Gap fill relevant position in the field in the case of needs after discussions and agreement with MedCo.
- Replace MTLs in the field in the case of gaps/holidays in agreement with MedCo.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Medical Doctor diploma or equivalent in a related allied health. NYSC discharge or exemption certificate
- 2-year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work essential, training or experience in tropical medicine and/or public health is an asset
- Experience working in a developing country and Emergency contexts experience
- Experience working with INGOs is a strong asset.
- Excellent command of English and French. Control of local languages
- Essential computer literacy (MS word, excel and internet)
- People Management and Development L2
- Commitment to MSF Principles L2
- Behavioural Flexibility L3
- Results and Quality Orientation L3
- Teamwork and Cooperation L3.
Application Closing Date
9th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organisation.