Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme 2022/23 for Study in UK (Fully-Funded)
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme 2022-23: Applications are now being invited for the fully-funded Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme to study in UK – at the University of Cambridge – Open to interested applicants globally. The Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme was established in October 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university.
Each year Gates Cambridge offers c.80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
Scholarship Sponsor(s): Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Scholarship to be taken at: University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
Scholarship level: Postgraduate
Scholarship Slots: 80 full-cost scholarships per year
Scholarship Worth: Full-funded (covers full cost of study and related expenses)
Subject Eligibility: Any Subject of study
Nationality: International students (students from countries outside UK).
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge (Current student at Cambridge can also apply – will qualify for round two ):
- One year postgraduate course (with some exceptions – see below)
Courses which are NOT eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- Any Undergraduate degree such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional, discretionary funding. Core components include;
- the University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate*
- a maintenance allowance for a single student (£17,500 for 12 months at the 2020-21 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years
- one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
- See full funding details
How-to-Apply: Applicants submit their application for admission and funding (Gates Cambridge and other funding) via the University’s Graduate Application Portal. To start application for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme 2021, you should see the how to apply page.
To be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship you must complete the section to apply for admission to a course and a College place and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section. Gates Cambridge has access to the full application for admission and funding when reviewing applications.
- US Citizens – 13 October 2021
- Other International Students – 06 January 2022 (see full timeline)