Curricular Literacy Advisor at the American University of Nigeria (AUN)
The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Curricular Literacy Advisor
School: School of Arts & Sciences
Department: AUN Writing Center
Summary of Position
- The Curricular Literacy Advisor at the American University of Nigeria Writing Center is charged with the responsibility of providing high-level literacy and tutoring support for students in accordance with AUN’s Policies and Procedures.
- The role includes scheduling appointments, implementing intervention programs, liaising with faculty on referral outcomes, giving timely feedback on writing and literacy skills and providing the requisite support to the Director of the Writing Center.
- The successful candidate will also play a key role in the implementation of weekly Writing Center activities and Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC); and work closely with student tutors and Writing Center staff over weekly activities of the Writing Center.
Areas of Responsibility
- Multiliteracy support at AUN Writing Center.
- Administrative oversight of the tutors.
- Implementational assistance on programs.
- Student record management
- Data requests and reporting
- Communication support functions including providing or updating content for the Writing Center website and social media platforms; and checking the Writing Center inbox
- A Master’s Degree in English Language, Literature, Linguistics or a related discipline from a recognized University
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional organizational, planning and presentation skills
- Previous experience in report writing and editing would be an advantage
- Familiarity with different citation styles
- Experience in working with learners of the English language (preferably in an academic environment)
- Ability to interface professionally with various publics
- Discretion and competence to work with confidential materials
- Ability to work on own initiative with minimal supervision
- Strong IT skills including in data analysis tools and Microsoft Office (Teams, Excel, PowerPoint, etc)
- Experience in organizing seminars, or workshops (both in-person and online)
Additional Requirements for the Position:
- Perform to earn the Director’s full confidence.
- Develop work schedules, set goals, create action plans and monitor progress towards goal achievement.
- Monitor the progress of support services provided by the AUN Writing Center
- Assure the discreet handling of all issues.
- Work collaboratively and courteously with students, staff, faculty and other stakeholders.
- Work professionally under pressure.
- Have teaching experience.
- Demonstrate intercultural competence and ethical reasoning
- Cary out additional responsibilities assigned by the AUN Writing Center Director.
Description of Benefits
- Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Application Closing Date
15th October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Resumes, Cover Letters and References on a single file in a word document or PDF format to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Click here to apply online
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- AUN is an equal opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce; we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race creed, colour, nationality, origin, age, sex, religion and marital status. For information on AUN, visit our homepage.