Reproductive Health Nurse – Midwife at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Reproductive Health Nurse – Midwife
Requisition ID: req20573
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
Background / IRC Summary
- The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
- You will be a vital part of most project teams, ensuring the provision of high-quality mother and child health care to the populations in need. Supervising the clinical activities and guaranteeing the quality of midwifery care in the department, according to IRCs protocols, values and universal hygiene standards in order to provide a high-quality Mother and Child Health (MCH) care to the population.
- Under the direct supervision of the Reproductive Health Doctor, the responsibilities of the Nurse-Midwife are but not limited to the following.
- Supervising, supporting, and evaluating the team under your responsibility particularly clinic supports, and other related staff in the team such as cleaners, crowd controllers, laundry cleaner and sterilization technician. Planning and organizing their work (areas, days, absences, visits, holidays, etc.) and coaching them in their work with special focus in the following all appropriate protocols and procedures
- Supportive supervision to the clinic supports and cleaners on infection prevention and control.
- Adding quality to the clinical activities in all the maternity departments and activities such as ante-natal consultations, delivery and post-partum, post-natal consultations, family planning consultations new-born vaccinations and liaising with the Medical Doctor about the patients who need special care times, etc.
- Supervising the daily activities in the sterilization and laundry room where necessary.
- Ensuring that the staff on duty knows, implements, and always follows the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control in the medical premises ensuring high standards of hygiene in the working environment.
- Ensuring that staff using medical devices are qualified and trained, cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols, reporting any malfunction to the facility supervisor.
- In collaboration with the pharmacy, be responsible for the department-related pharmacy activities (stock and consumption monitoring) as well as maintenance of the medical equipment
- Being responsible for ensuring that all the procedures are followed, patients’ data and documents are filled in correctly and registered for compiling monthly reports reflecting the activity in the department.
- Be part of the teams regular meetings and trainings.
- This is an exciting and diverse role involving some or all the following responsibilities:
- Plan, organize and ensure the implementation of all sexual and reproductive health activities; this includes updating.
- The annual project planning and budget and planning any emergency activities or exploratory visits as required.
- Inform doctors about potential serious problems or complications related to the patients, or problems with medication.
- Assist and collaborate with the field doctors and nurses when needed (normal or complicated deliveries)
- Ensure that newborn babies are correctly monitored from delivery to discharge and that all pregnant women and
- newborns are referred to the Expanded Programmed on Immunization (EPI)
- Manage, train and supervise the Midwife and Maternity team through activities such as recruitment, defining job and general administrative work on the field.
- Descriptions, capacity-building, briefing/debriefing, and evaluation of staff.
- Ensure the implementation of protocols by all staff to improve the quality of health care given to the population and prevent infection due to poor staff practices.
- In collaboration with the Project Logistician, supervise the distribution of drugs, keep track of consumption patterns,
- supply orders monitor inventories and train staff to ensure that there are sufficient levels of stock to carry out the remaining activities as planned.
- Activities of the project and material resources are used rationally and appropriately.
- Supervise administrative procedures and documents, analyzing routine data for monitoring purposes to have a complete data base.
- updated and correct information about the day-to-day activity in the project and to assist with decision-making.
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Reproductive health Doctor
- Position directly supervises: Clinic support
- Indirect Reporting: RH Managers
- Other Internal and/or external contacts: Health team,WPE, Finance, Supply chain
- Internal: WPE community mobilizers,
- External: Other partner NGO’s
- Essential: Registered Midwife With Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing Sciences.
- At least 2 years of experience as midwife and Nurse
- Prior working in a governmental or INGO is an asset.
- Language: English, Hausa and kanuri is an asset.
- Teamwork, flexibility, commitment, resourcefulness, stress management, service orientation, results, and quality.
- At least 3-year experience working in a health education/promotion and community project, with displaced population is a plus.
- Basic computer Literacy: Word and Excel
- Must be willing to work in an environment with limited resources with poor living conditions and difficult situations.
- Able to work remains productive under difficult and high-pressure situations with the ability to prioritize effectively, and respects and adheres to deadlines.
- Ability to work well under pressure, long work hours, and high workload.
- Ability to independently organize work and prioritize tasks.
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Familiarity with the local context: language, culture, etc.
- Sensitivity and diplomacy to provide education on a variety of sensitive RH topics.
- Excellent communication skills.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.