Truck Driver / Warehouseman at the U.S. Consulate General
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Truck Driver / Warehouseman – All Interested Candidates
Announcement Number: Lagos-2021-136
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Work Schedule: Full-time – 48 hours per week
Series/Grade: LE – 0805 4
Promotion Potential: LE-4
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FS is AA. Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (48 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and / or clearances / certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent is responsible for safety and efficiently operating a U.S Government-owned or lease trucks, large cargo vehicles or other vehicles.
- S / he is also responsible for safe handling, transporting and storage of both expendable and non-expendable items.
- The position is in the General Services Office and under the supervision of the Warehouse Dispatcher / Supervisory Truck Driver. This position is characterized as providing support to medium size posts with no property supervisor.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Minimum of two (2) years of professional truck or heavy vehicle driving experience is required. One (1) additional year of experience in manual labor or warehouse work is required.
- Good working knowledge of warehouse operations, procedures, USG safety and security standards is required.
- Good working knowledge of maintenance and efficient usage of warehouse storage space is required.
- Good working knowledge of conducting inventory and stacking of items/equipment is required.
- Knowledge of local traffic laws and regulations, as well as knowledge of in-country travel routes and areas is required.
- Completion of Secondary School or High School education is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify in you application your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Limited knowledge speaking /reading / writing in English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must have a Nigerian driver’s license.
- Ability to physically be able to perform loading and unloading is required.
- Must be able to handle heavy objects smoothly and efficiently.
- Must be able to lift a maximum of 5 lbs (23kg) under OSHA standards.
- Ability to use warehouse tools and safely operate equipment such as forklifts, hand trolleys, electronic lifters etc. is required.
- Must be able to diagnose and handle preventive maintenance and first-echelon automotive repairs.
- Ability to detect vehicle defects and report them immediate to authority concerned is required.
- Must be able to perform assign tasks in all types of weather, and environmental weather conditions to include at times severe cold, extreme heat, wet or dry weather conditions, and high winds.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN 3,889,576 / USD 26,233 per Year.
Application Closing Date
28th December, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Residency and / or Work Permit
- Secondary school Certificate
- Driver’s License
For EFMs, in addition to the above;
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.