Programme Associate, Volunteer (Security) at the United Nations Volunteers (UNV)
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Programme Associate (Security)
Host Entity: UNODC
Expected Start Date: 03/10/2022
Duration: 12 months
Sustainable Development Goal: Peace, Justice & Strong Institutions
Volunteer Category: International UN Youth Volunteer
Mission and Objectives
- For more than 25 years, UNODC, through its Country Office in Nigeria, has been cooperating with the Federal Government, its specialized agencies, the judiciary, as well as select State Governments, civil society and the private sector in making Nigeria safer from drugs, crime and terrorism.
- In doing so, UNODC, as part of the United Nations Country Team, is contributing to Nigeria’s achievement of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Presently, UNODC provides support in the areas of anti-corruption, counter-terrorism and the prevention of violent extremism, drug prevention, treatment and control, the fight against organized and maritime crime, action against trafficking in persons and smuggling of mi-grants, justice sector reform, prevention of HIV/AIDS in prison settings and related to drug use, fight against wildlife and forest crime.
- Since 2011, UNODC has been providing support to the Nigerian Government and its various relevant ministries and agencies in effectively the 19 universal legal instruments against terrorism, along with the relevant United Nations Security Council Resolutions.
- The implementation of these conventions, protocols and resolutions is informed by the guidance provided by the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy. UNODC works closely with the Nigerian government to strengthen rule of law-based criminal justice responses to terrorism. UNODC delivers capacity-building support to law enforcement officials, legal advisors, prosecutors, defence attorneys and judges; provides technical assistance to policy makers on the legal and policy framework related to terrorism, and works with local partners to prevent and counter violent extremism.
Working under the overall guidance of the UNODC Country Representative and under the direct supervision of the Programme Management Officer, the UN Volunteer will support the work of UNODC Country Office in Nigeria to strengthen the rule of law in Nigeria. He/she will specifically undertake the following tasks:
- Assist in conducting research in the areas of security, rule of law, crime prevention, criminal justice and transnational organized crime, in support of the identification of threats, technical assistance needs and the design of possible technical assistance interventions;
- Support in providing substantive input and coordination for the planning, preparation, organization and implementation of project activities, supporting the project manager to ensure that all administrative and logistics arrangements are in place. This will entail contributing to the preparation of draft letters, talking points, agendas, terms of references and other relevant working documents.
- Support, as required, the implementation of UNODC’s project portfolio and related activities in Nigeria in the field of transnational organized crime and other areas related to the rule of law, crime prevention, criminal justice;
- Participate in and report on meetings, workshops and other events organized by UNODC, other international development partners and national counterparts in the areas of security, crime prevention, criminal justice and transnational organized crime;
- Liaise with UNODC headquarters and other regional/field offices to assist the preparation and conduct of project activities.
- Supports the monitoring and evaluation of projects, programmes and activities of the office, collects and analyses data on project impact and results, and prepares and provides inputs to reports;
- Supports the identification of funding opportunities, monitors donor priorities, helps to maintain donor relations and fundraising activities, and ensure timely, accurate and compelling donor reporting.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Law, Criminology, Security, Social sciences, International Relations, Project Management or related fields.
- 0 years of experience in the area of rule of law, security, counter-terrorism, access to justice, crime prevention, criminal justice, organized crime; and/or experience in project management and/or monitoring and evaluation, advocacy, donor relations (preferably 1 year of experience).
Area(s) of Expertise:
- Security and protection, Legal affairs.
- English, Level: Fluent, Required.
Competencies and Values:
- Adaptability and Flexibility
- Commitment and Motivation
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Ethics and Values
- Respect for Diversity
- Working in teams.
This assignment is funded by the Government of France, therefore the following specific criteria will apply:
- Age: 18 – 26
- Only French nationals are eligible to apply.
- Candidates must be between 22 and 26 years of age at the time of the application.
- In addition to the requirements of the DOA, candidates must have obtained a Master-1 certificate and should have at least 6 months up to a maximum of 3 years of experience.
- The Government of France will review the profiles and invite longlisted candidates for pre-assessment interviews. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews with the UN Host Entity.
- Deployment will be in October 2022, after the Assignment Preparation Training organized by UNV and the Journée d’Accueil organized by MEAE.
- Notionality: Candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
Application Closing Date
19th February, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online