The AFRIKA KOMMT! Fellowship Programme 2022/2024 for Future Leaders from Africa (Fully Funded to Germany)
AFRIKA KOMMT! brings together the most visionary young leaders from Africa and leading German companies. Companies benefit from the expertise, knowledge, local network and unique African perspective of the young professionals. The African fellows dive deep into the German corporate specifics, German business spirit and the German culture.
The AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme provides an unparalleled opportunity to young, talented African professionals for a one-year career and life transformational experience.
It is a programme for young, extraordinary African professionals who wish to expand the horizons of their skills, knowledge and experience and are not afraid to step out of their comfort zone to do so! We strive to facilitate young leaders to drive economic and social development of their countries by promoting sustainable cooperation with German industry.
To apply for the programme you must:
- Be a Citizen of any African country
- Have a University degree in a relevant subject
- Postgraduate degree (e.g. MBA) is an advantage
- Have two to five years work experience
- Have excellent English language skills
- Basic knowledge of the German language is an advantage
- Not be older than 35 years at the time of application
At the core of the AFRIKA KOMMT! programme is a one-year stay for the African professionals in Germany. During this time, the fellows actively work in their partner companies where they are trained and mentored. Other components organized by GIZ such as language courses, trainings and networking events supplement the learning experience.
- Professional and tailor-made selection process: The fellows of the programme are chosen in a comprehensive selection process that is implemented in close cooperation with the participating companies.
- Language and cultural integration for fellows: The programme begins with German language and cultural integration courses to prepare the fellows for their stay in Germany. The fellows also get an opportunity to visit cultural heritage sites within Germany.
- Management training for fellows: The fellows undergo three modules of intense management training where they advance their knowledge of modern global management practices.
- Professional fellowship in partner company: The young experts spend eight months with their partner companies and are engaged in projects and meaningful work experience.
- AFRIKA KOMMT! Network: The partner companies and the African professionals come together at various networking events, share expertise and drive common projects.
- Alumni phase: After their one-year stay in Germany, the fellows become knowledge and skill transfer ambassadors as alumni in their home countries. A one-week refresher course in Germany or in Africa advances the skill set of the alumni and fosters continued strengthening of the AFRIKA KOMMT! network.
A Comprehensive Programme in Three Phases
Selection and Preparation
- Definition of fellowship profiles by the companies
- Application phase
- Selection of the candidates for the Assessment Center
- Assessment Center and final selection of fellows
- Preparatory German course in home country for fellows
One-Year Stay in Germany
- Intensive German language course
- 3 Management Trainings (Focus: Intercultural Competencies, Leadership, Project and Change Management, Conflict Management)
- 8-month fellowship in the partner company
- One-week study tour
- Weekend Seminars
- Networking events
- Farewell ceremony with the Federal Foreign Office
- One-week refresher course
- Participation in AFRIKA KOMMT! events
- Alumni projects
- Continuous networking
How to Apply
Check the general candidate requirements – do you fit the criteria and are you eligible for the programme?
Check the available fellowship placements and required profiles for the new intake of AFRIKA KOMMT!.
The fellowship placements will only be available during the application phase.
Your application will be considered for the AFRIKA KOMMT! programme as a whole, however you are asked to select maximum 2 profiles in the application form and to give reasons for your choice.
Register on https://application.afrika-kommt.de and fill in the application form in English.
Applications in other languages will not be considered.
In addition to filling the application form, you will be asked to upload a short presentation about your motivation, an idea for a change initiative, a photo and your certificates.
Submit your application before the application deadline (March 30, 2022) – applications submitted after this date cannot be considered.
You will receive feedback on your application within approx. 8-12 weeks after the official end of the application period. The partner companies may contact you to do a short telephone interview with you. If your application has successfully passed the pre-selection stage, you will receive an invitation to a 2-days assessment centre.
The 11th intake will start in November 2022 in Germany.
For More Information: