Nutrition Specialist, NOC, TA at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfil their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Specialist, NOC, TA
Job Ni.: 549153
Contract type: Temporary Appointment
Categories: Health, Nutrition, Programme Management
Supervisor Title / Level: Chief Field Office, Post#7848 (Enugu Field Office)
Organizational Unit: Nutrition
Organizational Context and Purpose for the Job
- The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does in programmes, in advocacy and in operations.
- The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions her or his rights are violated.
- There is growing evidence that investing in the health, nutrition, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens addressing inequity not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries.
- This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
UNICEF Nigeria Context
- Nigeria Country Office is one of the largest operations of UNICEF and the largest in West and Central African Region. The country programming is complex as it has development programming, with major disparities between the North and the South, North being relatively deprived and poor, while majority of the population is concentrated in the North.
- The country is further challenged with ethnic and religious divide coupled with governance issues particularly financial management. The Country also manages extreme humanitarian crisis and instability in the North East primarily due to religion-based terrorism.
- Based in Enugu State, supervised by Chief Field Office, this temporary Nutrition Specialist, NOC, position contributes to development programs in the South of Nigeria.
- In Nigeria, the programmatic focus of the UNICEF Enugu Field Office is in three priority states: Benue, Cross River and Enugu, while support to the other states: Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Imo and Kogi is through technical support and the national approach which includes provision of Life saving Vitamin A supplements to children 6-59months in addition to, celebration of annual Nutrition events.
- With the Government and Partners, UNICEF supports the three focus states to adopt a multisectoral approach in addressing the nutrition challenges facing children and women, mostly in the medium to long term as a developmental system strengthening approach. To add value to the results, the UNICEF Nigeria Office is seeking a national Nutrition Specialist, NOC, level on Temporary Assignment (TA), for one year.
Purpose for the Job
- Mostly upstream, the Nutrition Specialist will mainly advocate/ engage with government on policy and resource mobilization, continue to provide inputs to government’s nutrition sector strategies, while supporting the development and preparation of the nutrition programme.
- Also, is responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting the programme progress of a sector of the nutrition programme within the country programme.
- In addition, the incumbent will provide technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes to facilitate the administration and achievement of concrete and sustainable results in the nutrition programme.
- This temporary staff support will be carried out according to plans and allocations for this 2018-2022, and early into the next country program results.
Key Function, Accountabilities and related Duties / Tasks
Summary of key Functions / Accountabilities:
Support to Programme Development and Planning:
- Contribute to and support the preparation, design and updating of the situation analysis for the nutrition sector(s) to ensure comprehensive and current data on maternal and child nutrition is available to guide policy development, and the design and management of nutrition programmes/projects.
- Keep abreast of development trends to enhance programme management, efficiency and delivery.
- Participate in strategic programme discussions on the planning of nutrition programmes/projects.
- Formulate, design and prepare a sector of the nutrition programme proposal, ensuring alignment with UNICEF Nigeria’s Strategic Plans, Country Programme, and coherence/integration into the UN’s Delivering as One (DaO), regional strategies, as well as national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Establish specific goals, objectives, strategies, and implementation plans for the nutrition sector(s) based on results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare required documentations for programme review and approval.
- Work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies, and to determine national priorities/competencies to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes to ensure integration, coherence, and harmonization of programmes/projects with other UNICEF sectors and achievement of results as planned and allocated.
Programme Management, Monitoring and Delivery of Results:
- Plan and/or collaborate with internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators, and UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurements, to assess and strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the assigned sector in nutrition programmes.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action and interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare and assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths and/or weaknesses in programme management. Identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
- Actively monitor programmes and projects through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners and stakeholders to assess progress. Identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Monitor and verify the optimum and appropriate use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative, and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations, procedures, donor commitments, and standards of accountability. Ensure timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Prepare regular and mandated programme/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress.
Technical and Operational Support to Programme Implementation:
- Provide technical guidance and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the interpretation, application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes, best practices, and approaches on nutrition and related issues to support programme development planning, management, implementation, and delivery of results.
- Participate in discussions with national partners, clients and stakeholders to promote nutrition and development issues especially in the areas of emergency preparedness and maternal, newborn and child survival and development.
- Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic programme materials for management use, information and/or consideration.
- Participate in emergency preparedness initiatives for programme development, contingency planning and/or to respond to emergencies in country or where designated.
Networking and Partnership Building:
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with nutrition sector government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge.
- Facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve programme goals on maternal and child rights as well as social justice and equity.
- Prepare communication and information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for nutrition programmes (maternal, newborn and child survival and development).
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in inter-agency discussions, ensuring that UNICEF’s position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the DaO development planning and agenda setting.
Innovation, Knowledge Management and Capacity Building:
- Apply and introduce innovative approaches and good practices to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders, and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark, and implement best and cutting-edge practices in nutrition management and information systems. Assess, institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programmes and projects.
- Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients and stakeholders to promote sustainable results on nutrition related programmes and projects.
Impacts of Results
- The efficiency and efficacy of support provided by the Nutrition Specialist to the preparation, planning and implementation of nutrition programmes/projects contributes to and accelerates the national development efforts to improve the nutritional status of mothers, infants and children in the country.
- This in turn contributes to maintaining and enhancing the credibility and ability of UNICEF to continue to provide programme services to mothers and children that promotes greater social equity in the country.
- An Advanced University Degree in one of the following fields is required: Nutrition, Public Health, Nutritional Epidemiology, Global / International Health And Nutrition, Health/Nutrition Research, Policy and / or Management, Health Sciences, Nutritional Epidemiology, or another Health-related Science field.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in a developing country in one or more of the following areas is required: nutrition, public health, nutrition planning and management, or maternal, infant and child health/nutrition care.
- Experience in health/nutrition programme/project development and management in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
Competencies and Level of Proficiency required (based on UNICEF Professional Competency Profiles
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness
- Works Collaboratively with others
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships
- Innovates and Embraces Change
- Thinks and Acts Strategically
- Drives to achieve impactful results
- Manages ambiguity and complexity.
- Deciding and Initiating action
- Applying technical expertise.
Application Closing Date
24th March, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online