Lateef Jakande Leadership Academy Fellowship Programme 2022 for young Nigerians
The Lateef Jakande Leadership Academy is a one-year Fellowship programme initiated by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu that will offer life changing, nonpartisan and meritocratic opportunities to young Nigerians who desire to impact their generation. The value of investing in leadership has been well established in all sectors. A rationale for investing in leadership development that is more specific to foundations is that doing so can contribute to the effectiveness of a country to which the foundation is already committed. The Lateef Jakande Leadership Academy is a program that aims to build skills, awareness, and a nuanced perspective among young people to tackle challenges in various fields including the public sector.
The program will offer first-hand experience into the process of governance at a State government level, Fellows will also participate in round table discussions with renowned leaders from both the public and private sectors and partake in domestic and international policy trips. The annual Fellowship is designed to mentor young Nigerians. It will offer bright young Nigerians the chance to support Nigeria’s recovery through inclusive, sustainable and development solutions.
It is required that applicants must:
- Be Nigerian
- Have a minimum of 3 years work experience
- Be under 35 years
- Hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- Have completed National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) or hold an exemption certificate
Benefits and Experience
Fellows will benefit and experience the following
- Innovative Learning Curriculum
- Hands-On Leadership experience
- Participation in Community Projects
- Mentorship from Renowned Leaders
- Continuous Multi-Source Feedback
- One-on-One Leadership Coaching
- Shadowing Lagos Cabinet Members
- Local and International Policy Travels
- Network of Alumni
- Fellows will receive a salary and benefits of a Special Assistant to the Governor. Lateef Jakande Leadership Fellows cannot receive compensation from any other source during their year of government service.
- Fellows will act as SPECIAL ASSISTANTS while in their assigned ministries or agencies. This would legitimise their positions and enable them to conveniently develop and implement solutions in their various postings. It will also allow for easy incorporation of the Fellows into a recognisable/existing public service structure. Their assignments demand a capacity for quick learning and a willingness to work hard, often on issues outside of their area of expertise.
- Responsibilities range from chairing interagency meetings and designing and implementing policies to drafting speeches for cabinet members to representing their agencies on various assignments.
- In return for the privilege of participating in the Fellowship year, Fellows will be expected to apply what they have learned by contributing to the nation as greater leaders in their respective communities, professions, and in public service.
The LJLA Programme will offer non-partisan and meritocratic opportunities. It will combine on-the-job training through shadowing of Lagos State executive council members. There will be gender balance in recruitment of Fellows, 50 percent Female, 50 percent Male. The Academy will attract Fellows from Lagos, Lagos Civil Service and Nigeria as a whole.
Application Deadline: June 2nd, 2022
For More Information: