UN Human Rights Commission Fellowship Programme 2022 for People of African Descent (Fully Funded to Geneva, Switzerland)
The Fellowship programme for people of African descent is an intensive human rights training for people of African descent, from the diaspora, who are engaged in promoting the rights of people of African descent.
It takes place once a year at the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Geneva.
The Fellowship programme provides the participants with the opportunity to:
- Learn about and deepen their understanding of the international human rights law and the UN human rights system, the international framework to combat racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance, and intersecting issues with a focus on people of African descent;
- Strengthen skills in developing project proposals, delivering presentations and submitting information to human rights mechanisms;
- Gain first-hand exposure to human rights mechanisms;
- Meet with a wide-range of actors.
The Fellowship Programme was initiated by the Anti-Racial Discrimination Section in 2011 and was further supported by GA resolution on Programme of activities for the implementation of the International Decade for People of African Descent (A/RES/69/16). The High Commissioner is the coordinator of the IDPAD.
The aim is to strengthen participants’ skills to contribute to the protection and promotion of civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of people of African descent in their respective countries. The participants are equipped with the tools necessary to enhance the development of legislation, policies and programmes; to strengthen collaboration of civil society with governments; and to undertake local awareness-raising activities.
The candidate must be an individual of African descent living in the Diaspora.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 4 years of work experience related to the rights of People of African Descent.
- The candidate has to submit a letter from an organization working on issues related to People of African Descent or minority rights certifying their status.
- The candidates must be available to attend the full duration of the programme. The selected fellows will be expected to participate in different activities and to strictly follow the programme.
Each fellow is entitled to a return ticket (economy class) from the country of residence to Geneva; basic health insurance; and a stipend to cover modest accommodation and other living expenses for the duration of the Programme.
- In 2022, the Fellowship will be held from 21 November to 9 December in Geneva, Switzerland, provided that the COVID-19 situation allows for travel and in-person training.
- In addition, fellows are expected to dedicate a few hours to pre-online courses and preparatory assignments in the preceding two weeks.
How to Apply
Applications can be submitted in English, Français and Español.
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents in one single e-mail to email@example.com:
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A completed, signed and scanned Application Form (English | Français | Español) in one single document.
- A Personal Statement (maximum 500 words) in which the candidate will explain his/her motivation for applying, and how he/she will use the knowledge gained from the fellowship to promote the interests and rights of people of African descent.
- An Official Letter from the nominating organization or community certifying the status
- A copy of the applicant’s passport.
- Please note that submissions with more than five attachments will not be accepted.
Important: Please mention in the subject header of your e-mail: “Application for the 2022 Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent.”
Name the attached document as follows:
LAST NAME First name – Type of document
Example: SMITH Jacqueline – Application form.doc
SMITH Jacqueline – A Personal Statement.doc
SMITH Jacqueline – Letter certifying Status.pdf
SMITH Jacqueline – Passport.pdf
Application Deadline: June 15, 2022
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the UN Human Rights Commission Fellowship Programme 2022
To get new opportunities updates, kindly join our Telegram group and Whatsapp group