World Food Programme (WFP) Innovation Challenge 2022 (Cohort III) for Solutions to Hunger (USD $100,000 in equity-free funding)
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Innovation Accelerator sources, supports and scales bold new solutions to disrupt global hunger and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. For this year’s challenges WFP are looking for disruptive innovations for fighting hunger in areas such as resilience to shocks and stress, climate change, access to safe and nutritious food, and advancing equitable livelihoods for all.
Climate change is a risk multiplier for hunger. In a world that is 2°C warmer than pre-industrial times, at least 189 million more people are at risk of becoming food insecure. As a result of global warming, weather-related shocks such as drought, storms, and floods are increasing in number and frequency, causing growing losses and damages to food systems. In developing countries, the number of extreme weather events has more than doubled since the early 1990s.
Eradicating hunger requires bold efforts to improve communities’ resilience to external shocks and local and national institutions’ capacities to adapt to the impacts of climate change. This year’s WFP Innovation Challenge seeks disruptive innovations that strengthen climate change adaptation in food systems and enable greater community resilience.
If you are a start-up…
- Your start-up must be incorporated at the time of application. It can be for profit or not-for-profit.
- Your innovation must at least be at the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage. Proof-of-concept and initial traction is preferred.
- Your solution should be financially viable.
- Your proposal must show how working with WFP will serve your long-term strategy.
If you are a WFP employee…
- Your team must have evidence of Country Office support and management buy-in.
- You are encouraged to apply, regardless of your contract type or function.
- We accept project applications from WFP employees who are collaborating with NGOs, government or private sectors.
Apply to receive up to $100,000 in equity-free funding, with further funding dependent upon progress and measurable achievement of key targets.
Access to WFP Operations
Successful teams will work with WFP units on the ground to further develop and refine their solutions.
You’ll have the chance to work with technical and industry mentors who will provide guidance and accelerate your progress. Selected projects will be able to apply for the WFP Sprint Programme, a six-month acceleration programme that may qualify for further funding and support.
Teams will be able to tap into and leverage our strong network of public, private, and government partners to accelerate implementation.
Impact for the people we serve and potential to reach Zero Hunger
Feasibility, including time to deliver impact, technology maturity, and user traction
Level of innovation
Financial sustainability with a clear business case that does not rely on WFP funding
Team strength, experience, and commitment
Application Deadline: 26 June 2022 11:59 pm (CEST)
For More Information: