Finance Intern at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Intern
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Internship
Position Status: Internship (6 months)
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures.
- In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the country team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and
General Position Summary
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Accounting Manager, the Finance Intern will ensure quality documentation both physically and electronically and assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in a timely and accurate manner and work with the team to facilitate the execution of routine tasks.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Understand Mercy Corps policies, procedures, grant requirements and documentation requirements.
- Understand Mercy Corps FFM, procurement, assets mgt, HR policies and procedures are implemented.
- Maintain the bank file, ensuring that all bank information is properly filed and updated.
- Prepare and Maintain filling records of all program activities and other related financial documents.
- Prepare Bank Cheques upon receiving the payment schedule and disburse them to staff.
- Manage the archiving of all financial documents and follow up with staff for any missing documents.
- Ensure the petty cash count is performed on time (weekly and monthly).
- Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded.
- Identify and follow up on any outstanding obligations and Keep a record of all cash, bank and advance updated
- Maintain the petty cash box and carry out weekly and monthly cash counts as directed by the supervisors.
- Make sure all income taxes, withholding tax, VAT and other taxes are withheld and remitted to relevant tax authorities on a monthly basis.
- Print off all payment vouchers and match them with the document to be filled.
- Make sure that all supporting documentation is prepared and filed according to MC procedures.
- Make sure all required documentations are attached, calculations are correct, and appropriate approvals and reviews are made according to AAM.
- Keeps record of all finance documents and reports are properly filled, labelled and store in a clear and easily accessible manner following the FFM.
- Assist the Finance department to enhance the efficiency of existing control systems and any other duties assigned.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability To Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Reports Directly To: Finance Officer
- Works Directly With: Finance Staff, Operations Staff and Program Staff
Knowledge and Experience
- A Degree in Accounting or a relevant experience in this area is desirable.
- One year of bookkeeping, banking or cashiering experience.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. A high level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency in all cash handling is absolutely essential.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required. A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines, and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
- We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity.
- We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members.
- As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times.
- Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Application Deadline: 26th August, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.