Media and Communications Intern at Save the Children Nigeria
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfill their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Media and Communications Intern (6 months maternity cover)
Ref No: 220006O8
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Contract Length: Part time
Team / Programme: Advocacy, Campaign, Media and Communication
Reports to: Nil
Role Type: Local Hire
- Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; ore because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- The Media and Communications Coordinator (Intern- Maternity Cover) will collect contents (success stories, case studies, impact studies, best practices etc) and package them appropriately for internal and external dissemination, including to donors, partners, WCA Regional Office, SC members and the Center, through appropriate channels.
- S/he will ensure appropriate coverage, documentation and representation of Save the Children’s project outcomes and impacts in Borno FO, Nigeria.
- S/he will produce communications materials, building a media profile, in support of donor engagement for support to fundraising and visibility of the response programme in Borno.
- S/he will ensure adherence to policy and procedure and that the rights and dignity of families and children are respected in all materials produced and disseminated (voice, photo, video, written).
- S/he will be working in rapid-onset or slow onset/chronic emergencies.
- The role is to deliver vital information and communication products that enable excellent coverage and reflection of FO programs and responses for the media, key stakeholders, partners and fundraising activities for members and across Save the Children International.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Media and Communication Manager, CO; with dotted report line to the TL, Borno FO
- Closely Works with: TL, Program/Project Managers, Communication Specialist, Community Mobilization Coordinators, Child Safeguarding Officer, Advocacy and Campaigns Coordinator, ACP Manager/Breakthroughs, Digital Media and Communication Specialist; Digital Media and Communication Officer, FO Advocacy and Campaign Coordinator, and Thematic Leads
Key Areas of Accountability
- Plan and execute strategic communications and media activities to increase engagement, profile and voice for SCI’s programs in the FO for its target audiences, internally and externally; nationally and internationally, including but not limited to donors, partners, WCA Regional Office, SC members and the SC Center
- Ensure that the branding and communication guidelines of Save the Children are uniformly and consistently followed across the Field Office
- Amplify the voices of children through a high quality and consistent content gathering, packaging and dissemination, internally and externally
- Build engagement and regularly contribute contents for SCI social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube), Workplace and the website to enhance voice, visibility, awareness and relevance
- Oversee Field level production and dissemination of communication materials for print/online/voice/visual and other visibility materials to be in compliance with SCI branding and identity guideline
- Through the technical support and leadership from the CO Media and Communication Manager, s/he will produce communications and information materials to build the visibility of the response program and engagement with Save the Children members, Regional Office/Centre, partners and relevant stakeholders to support advocacy, programmes and fundraising
- Produce accurate, clear and consistent information and communication outputs relating to both emergency situation and Save the Children’s response and programmes – including key messages, Q&A’s, briefings and factsheets
- Oversee the production of community-facing communications materials to support programmes
- Build the capacity of staff members in communications for development, information and media
- Work with the CO Media and Communications team on the production of compelling photo stories, case studies and audio-visual materials from the field to highlight Save the Children`s work, including the commissioning of photography and film when required and in line with SCI policies
- Observe SCI Child Safeguarding Policy when engaging children for content gathering purposes
- Tailor communication styles to different audiences with responsibility for ensuring terminology, branding and visibility in all materials, and ensure that SCI’s mandate as an impartial, neutral and humanitarian organisation is imparted in all communications
- Support and closely work with the Digital Media Officer in successfully promoting and strengthening the profile of SCI in Nigeria through the social media and other online platforms
- Support and closely work with the FO Advocacy and Campaign Coordinator in facilitating campaigns for SCI’s key events and coordinating support to CSOs, celebrities, champions, ambassadors, partners and other stakeholders
- Ensure that relevant programs/sectors and projects have communication plans, oversee and support the implementation of communications plans
- Build the capacity of partner organizations’ capacity for communications and media, as well as ensuring any joint communications projects are in-line with SCI policies and standards, including branding and visibility;
- Graphically produce all necessary communications materials for all programs in the Field Office
- Identifying and engaging all communications related consultants in the Field Office with the support from the procurement and logistics department
- Perform other duties as s/he may be assigned by the TL and Media and Communication Manager
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduated with Degree / Masters in Communication, Media, Journalism, Literature or related field of studies from a recognized higher educational institution; with a minimum of 2/two years of professional experience in INGOs
- Proven experience of developing and managing the production of communications materials for INGOs or other similar organisations. Can produce accurate, clear and consistent information and communication outputs relating to both programme support and humanitarian situation – including key messages, Q&A’s and factsheets, case studies, press releases, media statements, briefs etc.;
- Evidence of excellent English verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of different audiences including donors, journalists and the ‘general public’.
- Ability to strategically target a wide-range of audiences is essential.
- Excellent relationship building skills in order to work across all departments;
- The ability to support the communications team in high-pressure situations, with changing deadlines and priorities;
- Understanding of how to manage strategic media engagement in politically sensitive environments essential.
- Experience in leading information and communication flows between a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- Proven ability to work with communities and partners to gather case studies, testimonies and information on different programmes. Excellent IT skills, especially in Microsoft Word, technical aptitude in MS Office. Experience with design softwares an advantage;
- Excellent understanding of communication and information needs across fundraising, media and campaigning activities, as well donor and member requirements and standards;
- Experience in capacity building, facilitating trainings and workshops;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion. Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy;
- An initiative-taking, proactive, inspiring attitude with the ability to manage and prioritise an unpredictable workload and solve problems quickly with limited support;
- Ability to fact check, proofread, edit and draft materials;
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment and interest in Save the Children’s mission, vision and values. In particular, a good understanding of Save the Children mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Knowledge of local language is a plus
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Creates a managerial environment within the communications team to lead, enable and maintain our culture of child safeguarding
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a country and global scale
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
- Displays consistent excellent judgement.
Application Deadline: 14th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online