Laboratory Advisor – National Support at Jhpiego Nigeria
Jhpiego, an Affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, is a global leader in improving healthcare services for women and their families.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Advisor – National Support
Job ID: 2022-4783
Employment Status Full-Time
- The Laboratory Advisors – expert will support and strengthen activities at the NRL, train and support national workforce at the NRL for COVID-19 Genomic sequencing, detection and characterization of COVID19 variant and other public health emergency.
- Standardized specimen collection, support the laboratory management and referral network procedures at the subnational level, in addition provide TA in laboratory assessment, support infection prevention and control practices and systems at the Laboratory and support revision and adaptation of policies and standard operation policies operations.
- Provide TA to Laboratory Quality Management Systems (QMS) to strengthen laboratory samples transport networks, QA and biosafety for all supported laboratory facilities to ensure accuracy for laboratory investigations and quick turnaround time for results feedback to health facilities and clinicians
- Develop and monitor laboratory diagnostic methodology (viral isolation, molecular or serological), standard operating procedures and study design for ongoing research studies and for public health surveillance activities.
- Provide capacity building support and training to collaborating partners and shall participate in the development of training materials.
- Provide laboratory expertise, conduct assessments, and training with WHO, CDC and other health organizations to support the implementation of the International Health Regulations (IHR).
- Assist in building laboratory diagnostic quality management capacity per IHR requirements.
- Support in developing SOP’s build the capacity of laboratory staffs to use SOPs for quantification and monitoring stock levels, update and submit utilization reports on time.
- Support a system for monitoring and reporting on the status of equipment functionality and develop preventive maintenance schedules.
- Strengthen ongoing laboratory-based surveillance system for acute febrile illness to include COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness surveillance.
- Implementation of biosafety and biosecurity practices for COVID19 testing, support revision and adaptation of biosafety manuals, procedures and protocols.
- Provide technical assistance to improve laboratory quality and Infection prevention and control.
- Exercise tact and diplomacy in organizational setting, transparent, direct with substance, self-starter, self-disciplined, be innovative and creative. Ability to intervene with staff with diplomacy and firmness.
- Demonstrate laboratory management, supervision, networking and leadership skills working with large, complex programs and ability to multi-task, communicate clearly and represent the organization at various platforms.
- Lead and manage by motivating employees to remain optimistic even when faced with challenges and encouraging good performance and values to work.
- Diplomatic; demonstrate experience in undertaking high-level policy dialogue with different stakeholders – Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- The Laboratory Advisor-National Support will perform all other duties relating to the project as assigned by his/her supervisor.
- Master’s Degree in Biological or Laboratory Sciences in a Clinical or Diagnostic or specialty discipline or equivalent job experience.
- 7-8 years of relevant work experience in laboratory quality assurance, quality control and audits or at least 6 years in a senior laboratory management position required.
- Experience developing and implementing lab policies and standard operating procedures, operational plans, guidelines, and accreditation and strengthening lab programs, and training and advising lab professionals.
- Demonstrated experience in quality assurance, quality control, protocol development, specimen management, and e-information systems in a lab context.
- Possess a range of computer skills (including Word Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access), which may need to be acquired through very quick learning.
- Experience working on USG funded projects and familiarity with international donor policies.
- Experience in training and mentoring government staff at the NRL and subnational.
- Fluency in verbal, written and interpersonal communication in English.
- Fluency in any local language in the project State will be an advantage
- Proficiency in writing and editing letters, reports, and documents.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
- Excellent presentation skills and verbal and written communications skills.
- Previous experience working in INGO.
- Proficiency in word processing, Microsoft Office and data software.
- Ability to travel 25% of time.
Salary Range and Benefits
- Monthly Gross Salary Range: (NGN875,000 – NGN960,000)
- Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package including: medical and dental plans; paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; personal accident insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; life and disability insurance; travel insurance; education assistance plan and more.
Application Deadline: Not Specified.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Nigerian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.